Yes, the Library DOES hire students! Library Student Ambassadors are typically scheduled to work shifts that are 1-2 hours long between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday-Friday, for a maximum of 5-6 hours/week (dependent on the size of your federal work study award). We do this to distribute your award across the entire semester, as well as provide continuity of coverage at library service points. The current rate of pay is $14.20/hour, so your maximum weekly pay would be approximately $80 pre-tax. There may be opportunities for evening or weekend work, depending on the Library needs, employee availability, and an employee's performance record.
The Library can hire approximately 6 students per semester. If you have a work study award as part of your federal financial aid package, please note this on the application. There may be funding for students without a federal work study award - depending on the number of applicants, those positions may be competitive.
As of 9/6/2023, we are looking for students with federal work study awards who are available to work (ie, do not have scheduled classes) during the following times:
Monday -- 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Tuesday -- 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Wednesday -- 3:00 - 5:00 pm
Thursday -- 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Friday -- 3:30 - 5:00 pm
There may also be weekend hours available (Saturday -- 9:00 am - 1:00 pm). For these positions, we would like to hire a student or students who live in the Student Village!
Job Description - Student Ambassadors
- Provide directional assistance and communicate campus/library policies to patrons
- Assist library patrons in finding items through a familiarity with the Library of Congress system, the layout of Tyrrell Library and its collections.
- Check out/in and renew circulating materials on the automated system, answer phones, shelve books with accuracy, gather unshelved books, assist with opening/closing.
- Provide first level IT support to users with technical problems, in addition to showing patrons how to log onto MyCollege, BrightSpace, locate information in Banner, etc
- Assist with special projects as needed (i.e., stuff envelopes, input data, gallery, etc.).
- Professionally and appropriately represent the Cecil C. Tyrrell Library at campus events - open houses, activities, etc. - and participate in social media marketing campaigns.
In terms of scheduling:
ALL campus jobs require:
*As of 9/5/2023, much of the paperwork described above is being handled by the college's Human Resources and Payroll departments. This will make the process smoother for both student workers and supervisors! Regardless of where the paperwork resides, however, you WILL need a photo ID and your original Social Security card.
If you are a returning student employee, even if you worked in another department, some of the tax paperwork may already be on file. Let your new supervisor know if this is the case.
If you are an international student, please check with Susan Wellington for other paperwork you may need (typically in connection with the I-9 residency form). She is in the Admissions Office, her phone number is (607) 778-5187, and she can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .